The Winter 2018 edition of the Grenoble Ecole de Management (GEM) Energy Market Barometer explores the opinion of the French energy experts on the role of blockchain technology for the French energy sector. The experts were also asked about their perception of the investment climate in key energy technologies.
Report 11 Winter 2018
- Experts are divided over the long-term role of blockchain technology in the French electricity sector of the future.
- Peer-to-peer energy trading and electric vehicle charging and sharing are the most promising applications of blockchain technology.
- Improved energy efficiency (including load management) and grid management are the main benefits of blockchain technology.
- A nunclear regulatory framework, high electricity consumption and technical complexity are the key barriers to increased adoption of blockchain technology.
- Wind, solar-PV, biomass, energy efficiency, e-mobility, smart grids currently enjoy a favourable investment climate.
- Future investment climate will be even more favourable to new renewables, energy efficiency, smart grids, and e-mobility – but will worsen for nuclear.
- The new French Multiannual Energy Programme did not appear to have changed investment climate for key energy technologies